Sunday, July 24, 2011

New, and scary migraine symptoms

Most of us here in Central Ohio have suffered the heat this past week: temperature in the mid to high 90's and the heat index of about 10-15 degrees higher. Because of which, I have stayed indoors as much as possible. I don't handle the heat well.

This past Wednesday, our AC unit malfunctioned while I was napping with Monkey, so I didn't realize it until it had not worked for over an hour, so the house internal temperature of about 85 plus the humidity. I "fixed" the AC unit just before dinner aroung 6:30. Keep in mind the unit is 15+ yrs old, so the temp only dropped a degree or 2 in the following hour. While I cooked dinner, (on the stove so it heated the kitchen up quite a bit.) I worked on cleaning the kitchen.

After dinner, the kids and I worked on the laundry. I was sorting teh_Bagder and my laundry with a fan at my back to help keep cool upstairs in our room. The next thing I knew, Munchkin was calling for me, but I couldn't respond. She immediately ran to get teh_Bagder (luckily he was home at this time) he came up was able to roust me, and he started first aid for heat exhaustion. The rest of the evening, he made sure I drank water and had cool cloths on my head, neck, and wrists.

Thursday, the kids and I were planning on going to my parents house for the day. teh_Bagder was releaved to know that I wouldn't be alone with the kids. But on the way over, I started feeling like I did the night before after I had passed out. teh_Bagder then called off work because he wanted to take me to the ER. I don't remember much of the driving, other than teh_Bagder saying to me to stay awake. We got to the ER and a short while later I was in a bed.

teh_Bagder described what was going on to the doctor, and the doctor asked me some questions that I had difficulty answering. Not only was I in a brain fog, I felt very tired and I was slurring the words I used. I must have passed out again, because I didn't feel the needle they used to put the IV port on, when they took blood for lab work, or when they gave me medicines via the IV. I am guessing we got to the ER shortly after 1, and I was released around 6. I don't remember much of anything that happened at the ER, but teh_Bagder explained to me later that they were calling this a severe migraine not heat exhaustion. Especially since my Neurologist just changed my daily meds (doubled the dose of one of the meds).

Now teh_Bagder and my parents are wary to leave me the lone adult with the kids, in case this happens again. I don't like that, but I can see why they think it is prudent. When Munchkin found me on the floor, it scared her quite a bit. I don't want to scare her or the boys like that again.

So tomorrow, not only do I have to call my Neurologist to see what she wants to do - see me in the office or what-not, but I have to call my Psychiatrist and plead with herbecause I had an appointment with her on Thursday, so I missed it. teh_Bagder did call and tell them I was being taken to the ER and he told the office lady I wouldn't make the appointment. This has happened before (cancelling an appointment on the day of the appointent) because I was on the way to the ER for a serious migraine. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Saying "hang in there" and "they're bound to get a break in treatment ideas soon" sounds so trite. But you know I mean that. And you know I'm praying towards that. I hate to see you in so much pain, and be so far away. The docs will figure this out. Sooner, I hope, than later. In the meantime, hang in there. I know it's hard. Go snuggle a kitty. Purring kitties are good for lots of health benefits.

    ReplyDelete