Thursday, July 28, 2011

An interesting therapy.

Back in March I was joking around with my Psychiatrist about Therapy pets, after one of my friends (you know who you are!) gave me the idea.  I hate taking all the medicines I'm on, so the idea about getting a pet to help deal with my issues, may in fact have the effect that it reduces the amount of pharmacological meds I have to pump into my system.  The main thing that was holding us back getting a pet was "Pet Rent" our complex charges we cannot afford.
To my surprise, she - my Psychiatrist - thought it a great idea, and couldn't hurt too much to try.  I called my apartment office to see if there was a way to get that Pet Fee waved (its like $250 deposit, and $50 a month on top of our normal rent) and lo and behold: there is!  Just get a medical professional to sign off on a form for an exemption and they can wave both.  After a few weeks of waiting, I got a letter back saying we got approved for it.
Another one of my friends had a cat about to kitten, so I was going to get kittens from her, I thought.  But my Psychiatrist said she had 2 female mini cats that were under a year old - litter mates - that were not getting along with her other 10 cats, so she had to find a good home for them.  They were both loving and loved cuddling. We figured them about 8 months old, as they still had some milk teeth, but mostly full grown.   So not only did we find a way around the excess apartment cost of the cats, I got 2 kittens that were very loving.
Dora Ninja is the smaller kitten.  She is almost completely pure black (if she's in a sunbeam you can see some brown)  She loves using her coloring to hide in nooks and crannies and jumping out to grab ankles.  She also scolds us when we don't feed her at the right time.
Hattie Cattie is half black and white, and has the coloring fairly similar to Dr. Seuss's Cat in the Hat.  She  has become my snuggle mate, especially when I have a bad headache and when I don't have a Monkey snuggling me.
We got these kittens mid May.  With in a week, Hattie got really sick, and we had to take her to an emergency vet.  She was vomiting everything she ate or drank up.  Long story short, she had abdominal surgery - and got fixed at the same time.  The Vet took out her stomach and felt all along her intestines, but found nothing obstructing either stomach or intestines.  she carefully put everything back and stitched her up.  When we talked later, she was surprised to find nothing - the Xrays showed a grey mass in her stomach and lots of air in her intestines. She kept Hattie in observation for 48 hrs after surgery.  Hattie kept everything down and it was going through her system correctly, so she got to come home.
We are now about 4 weeks after her surgery and she is still doing fine.  we think what happened was there was a slight twist in her intestines that was obstructing the flow, so having them rearranged got rid of the twist or kink.
In the few short weeks we've had the kittens, they've changed our lives.  I'm not just talking about getting a bunch of flea bites either, making us very itchy.  (Yes, we have been using a monthly med to control the fleas.)  They've wormed their way into our hearts.  These 2 kittens have helped with my Panic Attacks and Anxiety attacks some what.  Hattie actually knows when I've got a bad headache and comes lays on the bed with me.  What is better for a pounding head then a purring kitten curled up next to you?
Only thing has gone wrong is the 2 kittens are afraid of Monkey, so if they see him coming, they run for cover.

1 comment:

  1. Seems to me that hiding from Monkey makes them smart cats.... ;)

    ReplyDelete